Friday, May 18, 2012

To Run or Not to Run... It's not even a question

So this past weekend, after finishing my 6th race, I thought about hanging up my running shoes.

My running days begin last January when I started training for a 5K run in March. I attempted the Couch to 5K running program. Some weeks I ran all 3 days and some weeks I was only able to find time to run 1 or 2 days.  At the beginning of the program, I couldn't even run a mile.  At the completion of 9 weeks, I was able to run 30 consecutive minutes.

I had this illusion in my head that at the end of my first race, I would cross the finish line and my little girls would come running up to me and give me big hugs saying "Congratulations Mommy! You set a goal, worked hard and achieved what you set out to do. We are so proud of you!"

It didn't exactly happen like that.

I think my youngest was shivering under her blanket while the older one said "Good, can we go home now? I'm freezing!"

My official time was better than I had expected, but I knew that I fell short by skipping many days of training.  I thought that if I was a little more dedicated, I could train for better results.  So I attempted a few more races in October and November.  Did my long run in February.  And another two 5Ks in April and May.  Unfortunately my times have been getting progressively worse.  For each race, I make excuses: I was sick, my shins hurt, my foot hurts, the course was poorly marked, the weather was bad, etc.  But the biggest reason I was underperforming was my lack of dedication to the training program.  So I made excuses for that: I was sick, my shins hurt, I was busy and tired from work, my husband was out of town, the house needed to be cleaned, etc.

I came across a quote on Pinterest:
What's important

I realized that if I kept finding excuses for not running, then maybe I should postpone this running thing until I am mentally and physically ready to attempt it.  I kept asking myself "when will running be fun?"  (Although if exercise was more fun, we wouldn't be facing an obesity crisis in this country so obviously it's not just me who thinks running is hard.  Also realized that's why they call it a WORKout!)

I thought that by hanging up my running shoes, I would spare myself from the disappointment I face before every race (knowing I fell short in preparation) and the disappointment with my time after the race.

But after my little pity party, I decided that I have NOTHING to be disappointed at.

1. This past Saturday morning it was raining, I felt a sinus infection coming on, I had just spent 2 weeks being a single working parent while my husband was out of the country so I was EXHAUSTED!  All I wanted to do was crawl under the covers and sleep.  But I got out of bed, put on my running clothes, shoes and headband, pinned a number to my shirt and at 9 am, raced in the rain.  And I had my worst time yet.

But I remembered this quote I also saw on pinterest...
Pinned Image
My time of 35 minutes was still better than DNF (did not finish) or DNA (did not attempt- I just made that up!)

2. I wasn't running by myself.  Since my "running days" started, I have passed along the running bug to my sister who has run several races with me and is always asking when the next one will be.  In addition, my husband and brother-in-law also came were dragged along and ran instead of sitting at home on the couch.  I signed my daughters up for the children's races and Charlotte was so proud crossing the finish line and getting her medal.  I hope that I am teaching her to make time for an active, healthy lifestyle and one day she will realize the importance of setting a goal and accomplishing it.

3. The experience can't be beat. I now have so many fun stories to tell... I ran through the desert of Arizona, ran through the concourse of the friendly confines, ran across a college campus, ran with a man dressed as a turkey, watched a man carrying his dog across the finish line, saw Eric from The Mix as he announced the start at Wrigley as well as many other memories.




4. What I forget about a lot of these races is that they aren't solely about the run... many of them are for CHARITY.  In getting out and running these past few races, I have supported Children's Memorial Hospital, the homeless, scholarships for local students in honor of a beloved teacher in the community and scholarships in honor of a bright, generous girl whose life was ended too soon.

So while my running shoes may get a little dusty from time to time when I am tired or busy, I am not going to beat myself up over it.  I will put on my running shoes, gather up some friends and family, go for a run (or sometimes technically more of a jog) and as my mom always says "Just do your best and have fun!"

That's all anyone can ask of me.

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad I could be part of your Arizona run. I'm extremely proud of you and times don't really matter. You're not gonna set any records because I don't think you're Kenyan. It's about the experiences and the sense of accomplishment. Exercise isn't always easy to do or fit into you schedule but if you make it a priority instead of a chore it is a better feeling. Good luck with more runs and I would love to be part of some in th future

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Brian! I had a picture of us and Becky, but it's not showing up. I'll have to try and link it again. Next time you guys are in Chicago after baby Taylor #2 arrives, we'll have to see if we can fit in a race. Good luck Sunday!

    ReplyDelete